Garden hoses come in three standard sizes: 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, and 5/8 inch. Some hoses range from 1 inch to 2 inches, but rare. The hose size is important because it will determine how quickly water is delivered from the spigot to your hose. Below is a quick guide to help you know the perfect garden hose size for your garden, stipulated in steps.
- Determine what size of hose you need for your household. If you have a tiny garden, a smaller-sized hose will be sufficient. For more extensive gardens, it is best to use a larger hose to deliver water more quickly.
- Once you determine the hose size, you can now go shopping. Usually, the hose package will detail the size of the garden hose. The most common garden hoses used today are 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, and 5/8 inch. If you have a more extensive garden, you will need to use a larger size hose so that water can reach all areas quickly.
- To determine how quickly water will be delivered from your spigot, you must also consider the garden hose’s length. If you want a higher flow rate, consider having shorter lengths for smaller hoses and vice versa.
- Typical garden hoses are usually 25, 50, 75, and 100-foot lengths. To know the right size of your garden hose, measure your garden size and find the appropriate length.
Things to note
Keep the hose length as short as possible
Keeping your hose length as short as possible when watering your garden is essential because water loss will occur from the amount of space it has to travel in the hose. For example: if you have a 3/4-inch hose that is 100 feet long, it will take longer for water to reach all areas of the garden, and the size of your hose will also reduce its flow rate.
Replacing an old hose
If you are replacing an old hose, look at the package to determine what size of hose you need. If there is no size printed on the side of your current hose, you can measure the diameter of your spigot to see what size of hose is needed. Usually, the inside measurements are printed on your spigot, but you can use a ruler or measuring tape to determine the size if it is not printed.
You can do this by measuring the circumference of your current hose and matching it up with what is listed below:
- 1/2-inch garden hose – 9.5 inches around (19.05 centimeters)
- 3/4-inch garden hose – 11.5 inches approximately (29.21 centimeters)
- 5/8-inch garden hose – 13.75 inches around (34.93 centimeters)
Types of garden hoses
There are different types of garden hoses: rubber garden hoses, vinyl garden hoses, and expandable garden hoses.
Rubber garden hoses
The rubber garden hoses come in a variety of sizes. They are made from durable rubber and provide good water flow capacity, but you will need to replace them once they start to dry rot.
Vinyl garden hoses
These are common in the plumbing department or hardware stores. However, they are lightweight and can be pretty flimsy when extended. They come in various sizes identified on the side of the hose by printed size numbers. Vinyl garden hoses will generally have a thin lining of rubber or plastic running along the inside, which reduces the water flow rate.
Expandable garden hoses
These are usually found at department stores and are made with robust and durable fabric. They are lightweight but do not kink easily. Expandable hoses come in convenient coiled lengths that can be easily stored in a closet when not in use. The hose can be attached to your spigot by screwing the male or female nut onto the threaded faucet. These are quick and easy to set up, with no need for complex installation.
There are distinct available sizes in the market that you can buy. Determine the size that suits you depending on your garden’s size and the flow rate you desire. Also, consider the length before getting a garden hose. The garden hoses are available in many hardware stores, and all you have to do is choose the right type of hose and your desired size.
High Pressure Water Hose Guide
Contents Can You Use a Normal Hose for a Pressure Washer? Does Hose Diameter Affect Pressure? How do I make my garden hose high pressure?
What Is High Pressure Hose Used For?
Contents What is high pressure hose used for? How much PSI do I need to clean my driveway? What PSI is best for washing cars?
Rechargeable Hot Water Bottles Guide
Contents Are rechargeable hot water-bottles safe? How often should you change your hot water-bottle? How long does a rechargeable hot-water bottle last? How do Electric
Will A Heating Pad Ruin A Memory Foam Mattress?
Contents What is a Heat Mattress? Will a Heating Pad Ruin a Memory Foam Mattress? Buy Heating Pad on Amazon Conclusion One of the things
How Do You Clean A Suckle Portable Bottle Warmer?
Contents How does a suckle bottle warmer work? Do I need a bottle warmer if breastfeeding? How do you clean a suckle portable bottle warmer?
3 Tips for Take Care Lawn You Need to Know
Contents Is It Better To Water Lawn in the Morning or at Night? How Many Days a Week Should You Water Your Lawn? Should You
Head of Content @NotJustType I am a shopaholic and I am here to use my shopping experience and life skill to share to everyone. If you have any question for life, home, garden, you can let me know!
Share this article
Subscribe for weekly updates