A garden hose can be used to water a garden, for several other purposes, or even as a makeshift flotation device. You must know what size of garden hose will be right for the job before you go out and purchase a new one. Not all hoses are made equal, and there are many different sizes available.
Different garden hose sizes are necessary for the tasks that you will be performing with the hose. The most common hose widths are the 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, and 1.25-inch hoses. A smaller hose is going to be less expensive and easier to handle, maneuver and store. A larger hose will have a greater water flow, but may not fit in the store holder or may be difficult to carry and work with. The average home will use a smaller hose, but there are many uses for larger hoses at the home of a gardener or landscape contractor.
5/8 inch Hose Pipe
The 5/8 inch hose is an excellent choice for garden hoses, but it can also be used for some appliances and other tasks. A 5/8 inch hose works great to water flowers or small garden plots, but it can also be used to clean a car or boat. If you have a gas grill, a 5/8 inch hose will work for that as well. Since the 5/8 inch hose has relatively low water pressure, it works best for intermittent watering and other minor tasks such as washing your car.
Other Uses of 5/8 inch Hose Pipe
- Garden hose for a small garden
- Hose for cleaning a car or a boat
- Appliance hose
3/4 inch Hose Pipe
The 3/4 inch garden hose is a workhorse that can be used for many types of tasks. It works well for the average-sized garden plot, house plants, and even larger gardens with sprinklers in addition to being used for car washing and other household tasks. The 3/4 inch hose works well for heavier duty jobs such as sprinkler systems and features a higher water pressure.
Other Uses of 3/4 inch Hose Pipe
- For a new aquarium, use a 3/4 inch hose for intake and output
- When filling a pool with a garden hose, use a 3/4 inch hose for faster flow
- For watering livestock, a 3/4 inch hose is best
1 inch Hose Pipe
A 1-inch hose is a good choice for larger gardens, orchards, and landscape irrigation systems, as well as car washing. A 1-inch hose will work best for large watering jobs around the house, and can easily handle hoses with sprinklers attached. The larger hose will also work for watering trees, and the water pressure is great for cleaning cars or other large outdoor equipment.
Other Uses of 1 inch Hose Pipe
- Garden irrigation systems
- House plants and gardens with a sprinkler system
- Lawn watering, including trees and shrubs
1.25 inch Hose Pipe
A 1.25-inch hose works best for very heavy-duty use. At this size, the hose will offer a higher water flow than any of the smaller hoses. A 1.25-inch hose works well for irrigation systems, watering large sports fields, or much larger gardens. The 1.25-inch hose is also a great choice for cleaning large outdoor equipment. The hose will have a very high water flow and is best suited for power washing or watering livestock, such as horses or cows.
Other Uses of 1.25 inch Hose Pipe
- Car wash without a nozzle
- Large orchard irrigation
- Power washing larger items such as a tractor, mower, or outbuilding
- Hose holder or rack that requires a large diameter
- Waterline for livestock such as horses, cows, etc.
Guide On How To Select Your Standard Garden Hose Sizes
- Select a hose that is just larger than what you need, and use nozzles for smaller tasks
- The 5/8 inch hose will work for most tasks around the house
- 3/4 inch hose is a versatile size and will work for a wide range of jobs
- You may want to consider a 1 inch or larger hose for heavy-duty use
- The 1.25 inch is the largest standard size and works well for very heavy-duty use
Determining the size of your garden hose will depend on what you plan to use it for most frequently and how much water and pressure you need for each task. With a little planning, you can purchase the right hose for your job and be sure that it is easy to use, store and work with.
Head of Content @NotJustType I am a shopaholic and I am here to use my shopping experience and life skill to share to everyone. If you have any question for life, home, garden, you can let me know!
Share this article
Subscribe for weekly updates