- What Do You Need to Consider Before You Buy The Expanding Garden Hose Pipe?
- Top 3 Best Expandable Garden Hose in 2022
- --1.TBI PRO Expandable and Flexible Garden Hose
- --2.Flexi Hose Expandable Garden Hose
- --3.GardGuard 50Ft Expandable Garden Pipe
- Do Expandable Hoses Freeze?
- Can Expandable Hoses Be Used With Hot Water?
- What Is The Best Way To Store An Expandable Garden Hose?
- How To Connect 2 Expandable Hoses?
- How To Take Care Of The Expandable Garden Hose?
Washing the car, watering plants, cleaning the patio or deck, and washing windows are just a few of the many uses for a decent garden hose around the house. The traditional garden hose is twist and tangle, are heavy and difficult to maneuver, and are difficult to coil up after you’re through. The solution to these issues is extensible hoses. Expanding hoses are of great help for your gardening and they come with all the features of conventional garden pipes. But the added advantage is that they can be shrunk down to portable and very lightweight tubes for effortless storage. These pipes grow to their complete length as you fill them with water and shrink down when they are not in use. This aids in easy maneuvering around the garden and yard. And here is the guide that you need to know about the expandable garden hose.
What Do You Need to Consider Before You Buy The Expanding Garden Hose Pipe?
When it comes to shopping for a reliable expanding hose pipe, perhaps the greatest mistake that we make is to opt for the cheapest option that comes with hordes of freebies. In reality, you should consider your requirements first and pricing should be thought of at the end. Even after you narrow down a few pieces, you should consider the quality first, followed by reviews and ratings of the users. Let’s take a look at the few important aspects before purchasing the best expandable garden hose:
- Weight of the expanding hose: In the first place, the weight of the hose must be optimum. Sometimes, the inexpensive pipes are made very lightweight so that the cost per roll is reduced. But this factor has a great impact on the ability of kink resistance and can cause undesired curling of the pipe.
- Material of the hose: For a layperson, it is practically impossible to make a distinction between recycled material as compared to virgin plastic. What’s worse, there is no way to determine whether the plastic is non-toxic. The garden pipes are primarily available in PVC. Previously, these pipes were made of natural rubber. But the manufacturing and processing of rubber hoses are not cost-effective. Moreover, rubber hoses are quite bulky and they are very hard to maintain.
A few years later, expandable pipes made of plastic entered the market. Such hoses are extremely compact and have managed to capture the Western market within a short span.
What you can do is to check so that the plastic doesn’t have any grainy texture but a smooth texture. When you bend the pipe, you may see it form a “U” shape at the corners while those areas develop a whitish shade. Such hoses generally contain a high amount of filler and you should avoid them at all costs.
- Opacity or transparency: The shade of the expanding hose pipe has nothing to do with its performance, but it is better to opt for opaque pipes. It is a general tendency of transparent pipes to allow the growth of algae as the water gets exposed to direct sunlight for a long time. After a few months, you will see that the flow of water is reduced to a great extent and thus, opaque expandable pipes are the best.
- Preferred size: Many people tend to opt for the wrong size when they are purchasing the expandable pipe for the first time. Therefore, size is an important consideration.
On the other hand, if your garden has a large water outlet, then you must go for a large-sized pipe. If you are not sure, you should check with your plumber to make sure that the hose is compatible with the garden tap. Bigger-sized hose pipes will certainly carry out more water but it can become a bit difficult to work with them. For instance, working with a one-inch pipe can be more cumbersome than a half-inch pipe.
You should never use a small size pipe for a larger water source. This is because the garden hose is exposed to unwanted pressure and can even cause the pipe to burst. Thus, understanding the right size of the garden hose is highly important.
- Quality of the material: Once you have a clear idea about the requirement, the next step is to delve deeper into the quality aspect. As it is already said, it is very difficult to judge the true quality of the expanding hose pipe. If the pipe doesn’t come with optimum strength, it is quite obvious that the pipe will have oiliness during warmer months and breakage in colder times.
- Go through the customer reviews and ratings: It is extremely useful to go through the reviews of the users as they can give an insight into various products that they have already used. By reading these, you can make up your mind whether you want to go for a specific product. Even though it can be very subjective, but they are quite reliable in learning about the performances of garden hose.
- Budget: When you are satisfied with the quality aspect, it is important to consider the price factor. As you find the right product, then shelling out some extra money for the demanding piece is a value for money. But you shouldn’t consider pricing in the first place, and it’s obvious that quality stuff will be pricier but they will serve you better in the long run.
Top 3 Best Expandable Garden Hose in 2022
Now that you know the best tips for buying expandable garden pipes, let’s take a look at the top trending pieces of 2022. These three expandable hoses are handpicked by our experts and based on your needs, preferences and budget, you can consider opting for any of these for unmatched performance in the long run.
1. TBI PRO Expandable and Flexible Garden Hose
The best part of this expandable pipe is that it is made of a strong 3750D fabric coupled with a four-layered latex. This powerful material helps in avoiding common issues such as bursts and is around three times more durable than ordinary pipes. You can expand the pipe from 50 to 150 feet with the drop of a hat. You can rest assured that this pipe will not kink or twist with repeated use.
Moreover, the pipe is equipped with high-quality connector protectors to make sure there is no leakage while using them. With this set, you will get a 150ft expandable garden hose, rubber washers, a shut-off valve, and a box for storing everything.
- Made of high-quality fabric and quad-layered latex
- Improved anti-leakage system
- Comes with a set of useful components and storage
- Rust-free connectors
- Designed for multiple application
- Durability is not up to the mark as per some users
2. Flexi Hose Expandable Garden Hose
Quite similar to the previous piece, this expandable pipe can also run up to thrice its length. It comes with solid 3/4 inch brass connectors to make sure that the expanded form fits snugly in all kinds of garden taps. It is highly expandable and comes in a lightweight construction without any compromise to the quality.
The pipe is much lightweight even though it is durable for regular heavy-duty use. Every pipe goes through endurance testing to 2000 uses to make sure it is capable of enduring water pressure till 12 bar along with a temperature range from 41 to 113 degrees F.
- Lightweight and compact design
- High-pressure resistant
- Retracts when not in use
- Premium rubber seal for preventing leaks
- The warranty is not good
3. GardGuard 50Ft Expandable Garden Pipe
The best part of this expandable garden pipe is that it comes with 10 functional safety nozzles for added functionality. The expandable water hose comes with double layered latex core along with a 3300 polyester fabric for preventing leakage and breakage.
The connectors are made of solid 3/4 inch brass material to withstand a good range of temperatures. It is made of flexible material which adds to the adaptability while using. The superior quality brass connectors and shut-off valve ensure that the hose will never rust with regular usage. Last but not the least, using and storing the expandable hose is a breeze due to the retractable design which can shrink down to 1/3rd the original size. It is manufactured to take care of all your needs and is built to last longer than average pipes.
- Expandable up to 3 times
- The service life of more than 1500 uses
- Ten position rotating bezel
- Reinforced treatment for reducing leakage
- No cons at all!
Do Expandable Hoses Freeze?
They do! The water pressure will cause the hose to expand and discharge all of the ice buildups. It can withstand temperatures as low as -14 degrees Fahrenheit. When a hose freezes, the water within expands and causes holes to form, eventually compromising the hose’s lining.
If the frozen garden hose is still attached to the house, the damage can be considerably greater since it can cause problems with the water pressure in the pipes and water lines. To avoid this type of calamity, follow this step-by-step advice on how to protect your hose from freezing throughout the winter:
Step 1: Turn off the water faucet to prevent water from flowing into the hose.
Step 2: Remove any kinks in the hose to allow water to flow easily through it.
Step 3: Let go of the hose’s remaining water. Remove any attachments, such as sprinkler heads, and pour every last drop of water to ensure it is empty.
Step 4: Disconnect the hose from the water spigot in step four.
Step 5: Check that there is no more water at the end of the hose closest to the spigot. Garden hoses may be as little as 25 feet or as long as 100 feet, so make sure you walk the full length of the hose, lifting each part as you go, to ensure that no water is left in the center.
Step 6: Wind the garden hose into a circular shape to avoid kinks from developing during storage. Each loop should be around three feet in diameter.
Step 7: Store the hose in a warm area to prevent it from freezing or snapping. If your garage or shed is too chilly, store it in the basement or a storage room within your home. Ensure the hose retains its coiled shape while in preservation to avoid kinks.
Can Expandable Hoses Be Used With Hot Water?
The hose should not be used to supply hot water. The hose might be damaged by hot water. You might need to move hot water from one location on your property to another and wonder if a garden hose can do it. If you have a regular garden hose and don’t remember what temperature rating it had when you got it, chances are you’ll need to get a new hose to ensure it’s safe to transport hot water.
Garden hoses are typically constructed of one of three materials: rubber, vinyl, or polyurethane. Sometimes it’s a combination of two or more of those materials. Vinyl is the least resistant to hot water of the three materials.
Once vinyl, or any other material, warms up, it is more prone to leech chemicals since higher temperatures hasten hose breakdown. The cheapest garden hoses on the market are frequently composed of vinyl. It’s also a lighter material than rubber, making it a popular choice among many homeowners.
Therefore, if you didn’t give much care to your previous garden hose purchase and simply got the cheapest one available, chances are it’s composed of vinyl. When it came to leaking chemicals into the water they transported, even rubber and polyurethane hoses were not without flaws.
In all other words, when you transfer hot water through a hose, particularly one made of vinyl, you’ll have more than simply water flowing through it. Whenever you wish to transfer hot water for human touch or ingestion, be sure the hose isn’t leaking chemicals.
What Is The Best Way To Store An Expandable Garden Hose?
Wrapped around a reel, the hose will stretch out, eventually ignoring its capacity to shrink back to a tolerable size and shortening its usable life. As a result, the ideal place to keep an inflatable garden hose is in a cold, dry place that has been drained of water. It should ideally be kept inside. And many people use the hose pots to store them, which is convenient to store your expanding hose pipe and also decor the place.
How To Connect 2 Expandable Hoses?
To connect both of your hoses, just utilize a couple. A coupler is into both hoses (rather than just one) and a set of rings that allow you to crimp each hose onto the barbed rod. If you’re going to use a coupler, be sure both of your hoses are the same diameter. Before you buy anything, try connecting the two hoses. If the dimensions are correct, the expandable hose can be joined to an existing hose.
If your current hose has push-in connections and won’t connect, you’ll need to acquire a push-in adaptor with a threaded female end to connect the two hoses properly. All garden hoses, in general, come with a male and female hose thread connector. If one is missing or broken, you may simply cut it off and replace it.
How To Take Care Of The Expandable Garden Hose?
Maintain a water pressure in the hose of less than 80 PSI. Unless the hose is full of water, do not extend it out. Drain the hose fully when not in use and during cold or freezing weather. During the winter, if feasible, keep the hose indoors. Here is how to take care of the expandable garden hose.
- Turn off the water at the faucet when you’re not using the hose. Long durations of pressure should not be applied to the hose.
- Keep the hose’s water pressure under 80 PSI.
- Do not extend the hose unless it is full of water.
- Drain the hose fully when not in use and during cold or freezing weather. During the winter, if feasible, keep the hose indoors. If the hose is not properly drained and stored in cold conditions, it may explode.
- When not in use, empty the hose and keep it in the shade during hot weather.
- Never use the hose to distribute hot water. The hose might be damaged by hot water.
- Do not pull the hose over the driveway or on the concrete. Because it’s composed of polyester, it’ll shorten the life of your hose significantly.
Many gardeners opt for an expandable hose pipe for their garden irrigation. These pipes expand thrice up to their original size after turning the water. With the water pressure reduced, these pipes can contract immediately. As you can imagine, these pipes are a great addition to your home improvement as it saves a lot of space in storage. Whether you opt for a garden hose reel or sprinkler system, an expandable hose is better suited for your gardening purpose.
Head of Content @NotJustType I am a shopaholic and I am here to use my shopping experience and life skill to share to everyone. If you have any question for life, home, garden, you can let me know!
Share this article
Subscribe for weekly updates