A torque wrench has become a necessary tool for every vehicle owner, whether it’s an automobile or a bicycle, or any other vehicle. They need to loosen or tighten the bolts and nuts every now and then. When it comes to tightening a bolt or nut, it is essential to know how much strength is required, as too tightly closed bolts are also not a good thing, even though the bolts that are closed properly are less likely to come off.
Precision torque wrenches are devices that have made it pretty easy to decide how much strength is required to tighten or loosen the bolts and nuts. However, the growing demand for these wrenches has resulted in a wide range of variety available in the market and online, making it tough for customers to decide which one is best amongst others.
But to make the right choice, the customers need to know what makes the inch-pound torque wrench better than others. If you do not pay proper attention to the features of this device, you might end up buying one that would not only be inaccurate but could also potentially lead to a bigger problem.
So, let’s look at some of the best wrenches available out there and choose one that is best suited to your requirements and budget.
How To Decide Which Torque Wrench Is Best For Your Needs?
Before anything else, what needs to be considered is the precision of the tool. The higher the precision of the torque wrench, the better the results are. The wrenches in this category with a precision of +/- 3% are considered the best.
Not all wrenches work in both clockwise or anti-clockwise directions. If you are looking for the best torque wrench, you should go for one that functions in both directions and evaluates the torque accurately.
Calibration Of Scale
There are usually two options of calibration, which are manual calibration or pre-calibrated. In manual calibration wrenches, the calibration needs to be done before use, which is suitable for only those who are experienced; however, if you are still a beginner and do not know how to calibrate the torque wrench in inch-pounds, then you should go for a pre-calibrated inch-pound torque wrench.
These tools come in many forms, such as plastic bodies or metal bodies. It is always recommended to go for those with metal or steel bodies as they are considered more durable. In the case of these specialized wrenches with a plastic body, the handle might break too easily.
Length And Grip Of The Handle
Inch pound torque wrench comes in different lengths. It is totally up to you to decide which length torque wrench would work best for you, depending upon the nature of your work. Moreover, always carefully examine the wrench’s grip because you may need to use it for a longer period of time which calls for the need for an easy and comfortable grip.
Requirement Of Work
The choice of a wrench is heavily dependent on the nature of the tasks you need them for. If you need it for small and less difficult tasks, then the specifications would be different; however, if you need it for longer and more complex tasks, the specifications will be more precise.
It is also essential to check that if the size of the inch-pound torque matches that of bolts and nuts or not. Sometimes some extra accessories come with these wrenches, such as a reducer, extender, and socket.
Top 7 Inch Pound Torque Wrenches Of 2021
1. TEKTON Drive Click Torque Wrench
TEKTON is the most preferred choice for those who are in need of excellent torque and accuracy. No part of this tool contains plastic and therefore it has been designed to be long-lasting. Moreover, TEKTON is very well for making the best quality tools for their customers.
Some of the salient features of the TEKTON torque wrench are given below:
- It comes with a range that varies from 20-200 in pounds.
- It includes a reversible ratchet head that can move in both directions.
- It has a steel body which makes it highly durable.
- It does not require any batteries to run it.
- It has a high contrast scale making it readable even in low light.
- It is pre-calibrated with a precision of +/- 4%.
- A click sound is made to let the customer know that it has reached the desired torque.
2. Capri Tools 31200 20-150 Inch-Pound Industrial Torque Wrench
Capri Tools torque wrench is best suited for industrial purposes as it offers an accuracy of +/- 3%. Other salient features of this wrench are:
- It has an 8.3 handle length.
- It is build of steel using CNC machinery, making it last for years.
- It comes with two measurement standards: the newton meter and foot-pound.
- It offers a range between 20-150 pounds.
3. GEARWRENCH 3/8″ Drive Micrometer Torque Wrench 85062
Amongst 3/8 torque wrench, Greenwrench is considered to be the best one. This tool is particularly suitable for heavy-duty tasks because of its high 10-100 ft/pound range. Following are some other features of this torque wrench.
- It is versatile due to its two measurement systems, i.e., the newton meter and the foot-pound.
- It has a very comfortable grip due to its knurled handle.
- It has a very long range.
4. Neiko 03714A 1/4″ Drive Adjustable Click Torque wrench
This is an affordable wrench with some great features and is best for those who need an affordable yet effective wrench in the market. It is pre-calibrated and is manufactured from steel. The other features worth looking at are:
- It has a steel handle, which makes it rigid, thereby providing maximum possible torque.
- It measures 24 inches making it much easier for a user to do the job even with little force.
- It has a stronger head, resulting from which even the toughest tasks wouldn’t need a lot of force.
- It comes with special ball bearings, which help in reducing friction.
- It is calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy.
- It offers adjustments from 20-200 lbs.
5. Wheeler Firearms Wrench
Wheeler Firearms Wrench is known as one of the most lightweight wrenches available on the market. It is also quite convenient and offers incredible accuracy. It can be used to tighten many types of screws including guard screws and scope rings. Some of the features of this wrench are:
- It can handle a variety of screws, making it versatile.
- It allows transferring the torque to the load, making it extremely easy to use even for heavy loads.
- It produces a sound to let the customer know that it has reached the present value.
- All bits of this wrench are made up of specialized steel making it extremely hard to break.
- It includes an ergonomic handle providing a good grip and keeps the customer from blisters.
6. EPAuto ¼-Inch Torque Wrench
This wrench is considered a durable wrench due to its satin finish which makes it invulnerable to corrosion. If you are looking for something that will last longer than many wrenches, then EPAuto is the wrench for you. Some other worth noticing features of EPAuto torque wrench are:
- It comes with two standard reading scales, a newton meter, and an inch-pound.
- It is pre-calibrated with an accuracy of +/- 4%.
- It offers a range from 0-150 in pounds.
- It can be used in both directions.
- Its grip is non-slip, and the handle is knurled, making mishaps and accidents very less likely to happen.
7. ACDelco Digital 3/8″ Torque Wrench
Without any doubt, ACDelco is a reliable brand offering amazing tools. It works equally well even at very low-level torques, making it ideal for use in different scenarios. Other features of this ACDelco digital torque wrench are:
- The range it offers is between 3.7-37 foot-pounds.
- It includes an LED display.
- It offers various measurement standards such as the newton meter, the foot-pound, kilogram centimeters, and inch-pounds.
- It includes an inbuilt buzzer to let the customer when the ideal level is reached, which is great for avoiding incidents of over-torque.
- It is powered by AAA batteries making it ideal for users of cars.
An inch-pound torque wrench can be used to set a specific fastener tension to prevent over-tightening. These devices help minimize the damage done to the fasteners and the machinery that surrounds them and are therefore quite useful. There are many types of wrenches now available on the market, such as click wrenches, break-over wrenches, and cam-over wrenches.
Finding the right wrench for your job is important to get the job well done, and therefore we came up with this roundup review of the seven best inch-pound torque wrenches in 2021 to make the decision easier and more informed.
All these wrenches have received great customer reviews based on their accuracy, quality, ease of use, and longevity. If you are looking for the best precision wrench for specific tasks, consider a product from this list and you won’t be disappointed.